Since 1997, according to the order of the Governor of St. Petersburg Institute for Cultural Programs provides the work of the St. Petersburg interdepartmental commission on names – The Toponymy Commission.
ICP operates with:
- Organization and conduct of meetings
- Preparation of resolutions of the Government of St. Petersburg
- Interaction with the city media
- Maintenance of city toponymic electronic database
- Release information publications
Toponymy Commission works on naming of the newly created objects of the urban environment, the return of historical names to the city objects, and restoring unreasonably abolished titles.
Detailed information about the Toponymy Commission can be found on the website of St. Petersburg Committee for Culture in Russian only.